Purple Comet Pinewood Derby Car Kit Instructions
This car kit is no longer available.
You can find our current pre-cut pinewood derby cars here.
Purple Comet Car Kit
Your kit should have the following parts:
- Car Block – this block is pre-weighted. Your car will weigh close to 5 oz when completed.
- Roll Bar, Spoiler, Hood Scoop Parts
- Yellow Racing Stripes Sheet
- Grape Paint
- Silver Paint Marker
- Clear Paint
- Axle Guard Set
- Paint Brush
- Hob-E-Lube Graphite
- Wheels and Axles (if ordered)
In addition, you will need a small phillips screwdriver.
IMPORTANT – READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS FIRST BEFORE BEGINNING TO BUILD YOUR CAR
- Sand the car block with the lowest numbered sandpaper. You will find the number on the back of each sandpaper sheet. Remove any rough spots and sharp edges with the sandpaper. The block should feel smooth to the touch when done.
- Shake the grape paint vigorously for one minute. Paint the car block with one thin coat of paint. Rinse the brush with water then dry the brush with a soft cloth. Let the paint dry for at least two hours.
- Lightly sand the car with the highest numbered sandpaper. The block should feel smooth to the touch.
- Give the car two or three more coats of paint. Let dry for at least one hour between coats. Do not sand between coats. Let the last coat dry over night.
- Paint the front and sides of the cockpit area and front bumper with the silver paint marker. Use an old business card or credit card to mask the paint from other parts of the car.
- Paint the wheel spokes with the silver paint marker. Go to www.abc-pinewood-derby.com/chrome-spokes.htm for full instructions.
- Decide on what racing stripe pattern you want to use. A wide
variety can be made with the two racing stripe sheets that are
included with this kit. Here are two examples:
- Measure and cut the racing stripes to the correct length then apply to your car. No glue is needed.
- Give the car a coat of the clear paint. Let dry for at least 2 hours.
- Attach the Axle Guards to the car. Go to https://www.abc-pinewood-derby.com/axle-guard.php for full instructions.
- Examine the roll bar, spoiler and hood scoop. File or sand any flange or rough edges.
- You can leave the parts un-painted for a chrome look or paint one or more of the parts with the grape paint. In this example, the hood scoop and spoiler are painted.
- Glue the parts to the car. Adult supervision is recommended when using super glue. Let dry for at least one hour.
- If you are using your own axles or if you bought un-prepared
axles from us, be sure to file off the crimp marks and burrs.
- Lubricate with graphite then mount the axles on the wheels. Go to https://www.abc-pinewood-derby.com/axle-guard.php for full instructions.