Green Python Pinewood Derby Car Kit Instructions
This car kit is no longer available.
You can find our current pre-cut pinewood derby cars here.
Green Python Car Kit
Your kit should have the following parts:
- Car Block – this block is pre-weighted. Your car will weigh close to 5 oz when completed.
- Formulator Custom Parts
- Blue Flames Decal Sheet
- Green Paint
- Black Paint Marker
- Clear Paint
- Axle Guard Set
- Paint Brush
- Hob-E-Lube Graphite
- Wheels and Axles (if ordered)
In addition, you will need a small phillips screwdriver.
IMPORTANT – READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS FIRST BEFORE BEGINNING TO BUILD YOUR CAR
- Sand the car block with the lowest numbered sandpaper. You will find the number on the back of each sandpaper sheet. Remove any rough spots and sharp edges with the sandpaper. The block should feel smooth to the touch when done.
- Shake the green paint vigorously for one minute. Paint the car block with one thin coat of paint. Rinse the brush with water then dry the brush with a soft cloth. Let the paint dry for at least two hours.
- Lightly sand the car with the highest numbered sandpaper. The block should feel smooth to the touch.
- Give the car two or three more coats of paint. Let dry for at least one hour between coats. Do not sand between coats. Let the last coat dry over night.
- Place the windshield on the car and outline the area on the car inside the windshield with a pencil. Paint this area with the black paint marker. Paint the front bumper of the car with the black paint marker. Let dry.
- Prepare the Formulator Custom Parts - File off any flanging around the parts. You can leave the parts un-painted for a chrome look or paint the parts with the black or green paint as shown below.
- Apply the decals to the car. There are a wide variety of designs
that you can make with these decals. An example is shown below.
Expirement with designs by cutting out the decals and place them
lightly on the car. Place the Formulator parts on the car (don’t
glue) to help you decide where to place the decals. You can
also place decals on the side of your car. Rub the decals on when
you’ve decided on a design.
- Give the car a coat of the clear paint. Let dry for at least 2 hours.
- Attach the Axle Guards to the car. Go to https://www.abc-pinewood-derby.com/axle-guard.php for full instructions.
- Glue the Formulator parts to the car. Adult supervision is recommended when using super glue. Let dry for at least one hour.
- If you are using your own axles or if you bought un-prepared
axles from us, be sure to file off the crimp marks and burrs.
- Lubricate with graphite then mount the axles on the wheels. Go to https://www.abc-pinewood-derby.com/axle-guard.php for full instructions.