Plastic Fenders for Your Pinewood Derby Car
Reduce drag and make your car look cool
Example of car with 2 sets of fenders
Example of car with 3 sets of fenders
Proper fender mounting
Back view of fender attached to car block
Use super glue or epoxy to glue the fenders to the car. Glue the fender to bare wood, not to paint.
- Sand the fender with #400 sandpaper until smooth.
- You can add weight to the rear fenders by inserting tungsten putty in the fender access hole. Pack the putty in the fender with a toothpick so that it doesn't fall out during the race.
- If the fenders will be a different color than the car, paint the fenders and the car now. Do not paint the parts where the fender and car will be glued together. If the fenders will be the same color as the car, glue the fenders on the car before painting.
- Decide which wheels the fenders will be mounted next to and mount wheels and axles in those positions so that the axle is 1/8" in the block.
5. Trace a line around the wheel in the location that the fender will be glued to.