Red Dragster Pinewood Derby Car Kit Instructions
This car kit is no longer available.
You can find our current pre-cut pinewood derby cars here.
Red Dragster Car Kit
Your kit should have the following parts:
- Car Block – this block is pre-weighted. Your car will weigh close to 5 oz when completed.
- Eliminator Custom Parts
- Lightning Decal Sheet
- Red Paint
- Black Paint Marker
- Clear Paint
- Axle Guard Set
- Paint Brush
- Hob-E-Lube Graphite
- Wheels and Axles (if ordered)
In addition, you will need a small phillips screwdriver and a small
IMPORTANT – READ ALL INSTRUCTIONS FIRST BEFORE BEGINNING TO BUILD YOUR CAR
- Sand the car block with the lowest numbered sandpaper. You will find the number on the back of each sandpaper sheet. Remove any rough spots and sharp edges with the sandpaper. The block should feel smooth to the touch when done.
- Shake the red paint vigorously for one minute. Paint the car block with one thin coat of paint. Rinse the brush with water then dry the brush with a soft cloth. Let the paint dry for at least two hours.
- Lightly sand the car with the highest numbered sandpaper. The block should feel smooth to the touch.
- Give the car two or three more coats of paint. Let dry for at least one hour between coats. Do not sand between coats. Let the last coat dry over night.
- Paint the cockpit area and front bumper with the black paint marker.
- Prepare the Eliminator Custom Parts - File off any flanging around the parts.
- Place the parts on the car (do not glue) to ensure proper
fit. The exhaust should be placed directly below the engine with
the pipe at an up angle as shown.
The four exaust ports should fit flush with the car body. You may need to file part of the exhaust for a proper fit as shown
- You can leave the parts un-painted for a chrome look or paint
the parts with the black or red paint. See the example at the top
of the other side. Here is another example with the spoiler painted
black, top of engine is red and different
paint scheme on the exhaust.
- Apply the decals to the car. There
are a wide variety of designs that you can make with these decals.
Two examples are shown below. Expirement with designs by cutting
out the decals and place them lightly on the car. You can also
place decals on the side of your car. Rub the decals on when
decided on a design.
- Give the car a coat of the clear paint. Let dry for at least 2 hours.
- Attach the Axle Guards to the car. Go to http://www.abc-pinewood-derby.com/axle-guard.htm for full instructions.
- Glue the Eliminator parts to the car. Adult supervision is recommended when using super glue. Let dry for at least one hour.
- If you are using your own axles or if you bought un-prepared axles from us, be sure to file off the crimp marks and burrs.
- Lubricate with
graphite then mount the axles on the wheels. Go to http://www.abc-pinewood-derby.com/axle-guard.htm
for full instructions.
Your car is ready to race!