Graphite Coated Pinewood Derby Axles
Don't let your axles keep your car from winning!
The axles that come in your pinewood derby kit have several flaws. Besides burrs and crimp marks, the axle shaft often has a slight curve and the axle head may not be at a right angle to the shaft.
You can try to remove the flaws from your axles but we have a better solution.
Our special process coats the axle with an even layer of high grade graphite. The graphite is bonded to the axle so it will last many races. Our tests have shown no reduction in speed after more than 20 races!
The outside head of the axle is not coated with graphite although there may be some overspray. A light polishing will remove any graphite from the head.
For even more speed, add loose graphite (Tube-O-Lube or Hob-E-Lube) between the axle and wheel before mounting the axles on the car. Liquid lubricants are not recommended with these axles.
Graphite Official Axles
The grooved axle is slightly faster then the non-grooved axle but it isn't allowed in all races. Check your race rules.
Our Graphite Axles are official BSA axles that we prepare for you:
- Straighten the axle.
- True the axle head so that it is at a 90 degree angle to the axle shaft.
- Remove Crimp marks
- Remove Burrs.
- Taper the head slightly to reduce contact area with the wheel.
- Cut a shallow groove in the axle shaft to act as a lubricant reservoir (grooved axle).
- Polish the axle shaft.
- Machine polished to a very fine mirror finish.
- Bond graphite to the axle shaft and inside head.
The result is the fastest official axles around. These axles are ready to race!