How to Paint Your Pinewood Derby Car
This procedure will give the best results when using our Pinewood Derby car paint.
What you will need:
- Paint brush
- Decals (optional)
- Clear Gloss paint (optional)
1. Sand your car. Try to make the wood as smooth as possible for best results. Do not pre-coat with primer or wood sealer.
2. Shake the paint bottle for one minute. Do not thin. Apply a thin coat of paint. The paint might look uneven for this first coat. This is normal.
3. Wait about 4 hours for the paint to completely dry then lightly sand your car until the paint is smooth.
4. Apply another thin coat of paint. Let dry at least one hour but do not sand.
5. Apply additional coats of paint waiting at least one hour between coats. The paint will have more gloss with each coat. Stop adding coats when you are satisfied with the results. Usually 3 or 4 coats are enough. Do not apply more than the first coat of paint to areas that will receive a different color paint such as windows and bumpers.
6. Paint windows, bumpers and so on with a different color. We recommend our Paint Markers for best results.
7. Add decals, stripes and other details.
8. Apply a final coat of clear for a hard glossy finish.