Installing Wheels and Axles on Your Pinewood Derby Car
Pinewood Derby Axle Installer
Our axle installer makes it easy to install wheels and axles on your Pinewood Derby car the right way every time. It makes sure that the axles are horizontal and that the wheel-to-body gap is correct. For BSA, PineCar, and other kits which use 4 independent axles mounted in slots.
1. Lubricate the wheel and axle - Slide the axle into the wheel. Tip the axle down then add graphite between the axle and wheel. Tap and gently spin the wheel to work the graphite into the wheel. Continue until no more graphite can be added.
2. Place the wheel/axle on the base with the pointed end of the axle up.
3. Place the Axle Guide in the axle slot. The end of the axle guide should be flush with the side of the car body.
4. Hold the Axle Guide in place with your thumb then gently press the car body straight down on the axle. Push until the wheel touches the car body. The base is designed to leave the proper gap between the wheel and body.
5. The axle will need to be glued if it slips easily into the car body. To glue the axle, remove the axle and place a small drop of wood or paper glue in the axle slot about one quarter inch in from the side of the body. Wipe any excess glue from the bottom of the car. Insert the axle again using the above procedure. Keep the wheel away from the car body until the glue dries.
6. Check that the axle went in straight by checking the wheel angle from the front or back of the car. The wheel should be perpendicular to the car body.
Repeat for the remaining axles.
I don't know how to thank you, I am hoping that these pictures tell you the story....Bob J.