How to attach an animal figure to your Pinewood Derby Car
You can simply glue your animal figure on your painted car and it should work fine but the bond is only as strong as the paint so your figure may come off during a crash or if you drop the car. The bond will be stronger if the figure is glued directly to the block's wood. This page describes the best way to do it. You will need super glue or epoxy.
1. Cut your car so that it has a flat area at the top large enough to attach your figure. A good shape is a low wedge with the front 1/4" high and the back between 1/2" and 1" high.
2. Place the figure on your car. Make sure that all feet are touching the car. Trace around the feet with a pencil.
3. The result should look something like this.
4. Remove any paint from the bottom of the figure's feet by placing sandpaper on a flat surface then slide the figure across the sandpaper.
5. Paint your car. Paint just inside the traced lines - you want the paint to go slightly under the figure's feet.